… A summary of events of my personal life
1982-1985, Childhood in Italy, Music I
- Performs at the Teatro Comunale of Bologna and the Sala Bossi.
- Admitted at the G. B. Martini Conservatory of Bologna under the guidance of Giuseppe Fricelli. In three years, while attending middle school, he finishes five years worth of Conservatory syllabus and passes the exam to be admitted to the 6th year of study.
- Begins piano lessons with Daniela Zanotti.
Florence, Bologna, Italy, Music II
- Admitted to the L. Cherubini Conservatory of Florence, he commutes by train following his teacher Giuseppe Fricelli who relocated to his hometown.
- Other performances in Tuscany soon follows.
- He passes the 8th year examination at the Conservatory and graduates two years later earning the diploma in piano (summa cum laude).
1990-1991, Setback, Rome, Italy
- The Italian Army recruits him obligatorily for service.
- Prepares the entrance examination of the Imola International Piano Academy “Incontri col Maestro” after service, at night, with an electric keyboard not connected to the outlet in order to conceal his practicing, which was not allowed.
- The first Gulf War happens just as he is serving in the Italian army in Rome.
- Life isn’t so easy…
1991-1996, New Beginnings and Maturity, Imola, Italy, Music III
- Enters one of the world’s best schools for pianists: the Imola International Piano Academy “Incontri col Maestro.”
- Wins a top-prize at the Venice National Competition for best Italian graduates of all conservatories and performs at “La Fenice” historical Theatre.
- Works with renowned pianists Lazar Berman, Boris Petrushansky, Alexander Lonquich, Franco Scala incessantly for five years but also plays occasionally for Jörg Demus, Joaquín Achúcarro, Rudolf Firkušný, Peter Lang, Sergio Perticaroli.
- Performs recitals in Germany and crosses over the former Eastern Block nearly two years after the Berlin Wall had fallen. Continues to perform recitals in Padua, Crema, Cattolica, Bologna, Modena, Florence, Mantua, Cesena, and also in Bonn, Germany, and Piestany, in the Slovak Republic.
- Wins several first in piano competitions: Ravenna, Genoa, Sestri Levante, Sasso Marconi, Pescara, Recanati, Bardolino. In 1995 he gains a top prize in Portugal at the Oporto International Competition (World Federation of International Competitions) and is featured on national TV with the Orchestra Classica de Porto.
- In 1996 he graduates from the Imola International Piano Academy “Incontri col Maestro.”
1996-2004, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, Music IV
Enrico Elisi with his teacher and mentor Leon Fleisher in 2000 while sight-reading Brahms’ second symphony for pleasure and being filmed for a documentary entitled LEON FLEISHER, LES LECONS D’UN MAITRE by Mark Kidel. (Grand Prix au Festival Classique en Image du Musée du Louvre – 2002 Grand Prix Musique au Festival de l’Unesco – 2002)
Leon Fleisher awards a full scholarship and invites him to study with him at the Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University.
- Selected to take part in the prestigious Taos Chamber Festival (New Mexico, USA, 1997), he performs four chamber recitals.
- Performs the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1 with the Florence Symphony Orchestra and a number of different concertos with various orchestras in the USA. Other solo and chamber performances in China, Taiwan, Canada, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, and the USA followed by radio broadcast. Begins performing extensively as a soloist and with chamber music partners all over the USA and accepts a few pre-college teaching positions in the Washington/Baltimore area.
- Graduates with a Master Degree from the Peabody Conservatory (1999).
- Weill Hall at Carnegie Hall’s first of several subsequent performances (2001).
2004-2008, Nevada, USA, a New Life in the West
- Moves to Las Vegas having been offered a contract as an Assistant Professor of Piano at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where he will soon direct the Las Vegas Music Festival’s Piano Institute (summer program), and co-chair the UNLV Artist in Residence Program. In addition, he founds the Las Vegas Piano Club
- Continues concertizing as a soloist, as a member of the Cerberus and Sialia Trios, and with orchestras.
- Adjudicates the Iowa Competition and the Stepping Stone Competition as well as the finals of the Canadian Music Competition in Rimouski (Quebec).
- Appears at the World Piano Pedagogy Conference in a joint recital with his mentor Leon Fleisher and other performers.
- Accepts an invitation to teach more regularly at the China Zhejiang Art School, in Hangzhou, China.
- Co-founds the Green Valley Chamber Music Festival
- Graduates with a Master Degree from the Peabody Conservatory (2006).
2008-2011, Pennsylvania, USA, Returning Back East
- Accepts a position as an Assistant Professor of Piano at one of the top ten US institutions: the Pennsylvania State University, where he begins student projects on various themes.
- Founds the Arioso Musica Domani Prize for composers with a board of directors which includes Paul Chihara, Steven Stucky, Richard Danielpour, Jorge Villavicencio Grossmann, Ricardo Zhon-Muldon, and Carlos Sánchez-Gutiérrez.
- Marries Korean composer Kye Ryung Park (2010)
- Creates SummerItalia, a series of master classes and performance opportunities in Umbria, Italy.
- Establishes the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Liszt Society and becomes a life member of ALS. Performs during the bicentennial celebration of Liszt at the ALS festival in Athens, GA, USA.
2011-2016, New York, Northbound
- Accepts a position as an Associate Professor of Piano at the Eastman School of Music,where he will stay for five years.
- Performs with violinists Federico Agostini and Charles Castleman and gives several solo and chamber recitals at Eastman.
- Continues his student projects and spearheads one dedicated to C. P. E. Bach during the 300th Anniversary of his Birth. Connects multiple departments at Eastman turning the event into a five-day special celebratory festival.
- Performs at the National Gallery and the Italian Embassy in Washington, DC,
- Founds the Seoul Master Class in South Korea (renamed Seoul Piano workshop in 2014)
- Presides the jury of the historical Nuova Coppa Pianisti in Osimo, Italy, and will return as an adjudicator in subsequent years.
2016-Present, Canada, Further North
- Selected for a position as an Associate Professor of Piano, he moves to Toronto, Canada where he resides since the late summer of 2016.